Baked Artichoke Eggs
The baked egg turns almost anything into something fabulous, not that artichokes aren’t fabulous to begin with. Celebrate them with this tasty no-fuss recipe that is perfect as a side or just on it’s own. Either way, it will make any meal that much more elegant.
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, more for topping
6 thyme sprigs
6 tablespoons of olive oil
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
1. Choose artichokes that are about 4 inches wide. This way they will tightly fit into your 9” baking dish. Trim the end of the choke and peel the stem, then half it length-wise.
2. Half one of the lemons and juice it into a large mixing bowl. Then fill that bowl with ice water.
3. Remove the hairy choke. You cannot eat this, it is really gross. Artichokes are almost color coded so you know which part to remove. I use a paring knife to cut the choke out and then remove any excess with a small spoon. As a side note, when artichokes bloom…the choke turns this gorgeous indigo color and is simply lovely. But here it is evil and must be destroyed! Place each cleaned artichoke into the lemon water.
4. Add the bread crumbs, cheese and juice from the other lemon half to a small mixing bowl and mix well.
5. Slice the remaining lemon.
6. Place the artichoke halves sliced-side up in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and then fill the cups with some of the bread crumb mix. Add the olive oil to the baking dish. Place the lemon slices and fresh thyme on top and cover with foil.
7. Bake at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven, removing the foil. Crack an egg into each cup, making sure the artichokes halves are level first. If you don’t do this, your egg will just pour into the baking dish.
9. Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until the eggs have set.
Finish with more cheese, salt and fresh cracked pepper. Enjoy!
Jerry James Stone has been eating and drinking his veggie way through San Francisco for the past four years where he focuses on sustainability and local as well as large-scale food issues.
Need to make!